According to Becker’s Hospital Review, hospitals are being called upon to innovate and create patient safety protocols. Here are six tips that hospitals can take to drive innovation:
1. Create a Robust Patient Safety Program: Hospitals need to first create a structured program to encourage patient safety innovation so people can test and share ideas.
2. Develop a Culture of Safety: The encouragement of innovation depends on a strong culture of safety in the organization.
3. Hold People Accountable: If employees are held accountable for their actions, it will motivate them to find ways of overcoming challenges to meet goals.
4. Pilot Programs: Piloting new projects can provide an opportunity for leaders to innovate, test new ideas and refine practices that can then be shared system-wide.
5. Partner with Researchers: Researchers can test new theories and provide data to support new practices.
6. Participate in Outside Patient Safety Programs: Participating in other patient safety programs can create innovation by enabling different organizations to share their successes and failures.
Snyder and Wenner, P.C.